Joseph & Benjamin are now accepting submissions for the ‘Mini Writers, Big-Lit Competition 2017/18’. The competition closes on 1st February 2018. For all you young budding writers, there are three ways you can enter this competition. You can:
1. Write a short story of up to 500 words on any theme or topic. Your task is to bring your characters to life with a great story line. Remember, readers don’t want to put a good story down, so make your story fun, original and exciting to read.
2. Design your very own comic strip. Yes that’s right…. Not only can you show off your writing skills but now you will have the opportunity to showcase your artistic skills by illustrating your story. We would like you to create your own short comic strip to tell a story on any topic. You have up to 30 panels (or 5 pages) to share your adventurous story. Bring your story to life with creative drawings and bold captions.
3. Create your own storytelling on an audio or video clip. We all have a story to tell, and this unique approach hopes to reach out to talented young storytellers who may prefer to tell a story instead of writing it. Storytelling is a great way of creating exciting stories which come alive. We would like you to create your own story, orally narrate it and capture it on audio or video (up to 4 minutes only). We want you the story teller to have the main components of a good narration (including expression, intonation, pace and captivating). You may use various visual elements e.g. on screen graphics, props, etc. if you are creating a video.
This year, we have great prizes are up grabs for the:
- Winner, who will receive a Tablet;
- Runner up will receive an Echo Dot and;
- Third place will receive a MP3 Player.
In addition, the winning stories will be published.
If you’re under 12, and you have a story to tell, then we want to hear from you! But you must ask your parent/guardian or teacher for permission to enter this competition. Ask them to read the terms and conditions (below) before submitting your work. When you’re ready to send your story, make sure they are nearby – you can’t enter without them!
You can only enter the competition using one method (of writing), so decide whether you will like to write a story, design a comic strip or tell a story. The most important thing is you need to be imaginative and have fun!
Remember, writing is a creative journey and the best stories don’t happen overnight. So take your time and edit your story to make it the best one you’ve ever written. Once you are completely happy with it, send it to us. To inspire you, we’ve published the winning stories from 2016 and 2017 – see below.
You have until 1st February 2018 to enter this competition. So go on, grab your notepad and pen, and let your writing skills loose….. you know there is a story in you!
The competition is open to all under 12s and group entries from primary schools*
For all Terms & Conditions including e-safety and child protection and ‘how to enter’ can all be downloaded using the links below.
All entries must be submitted by 1st February 2018
- How to enter
- Terms & Conditions (including E-Safety & Child Protection Policy)
- School Pack
- School Submission Form**
- Short Story Writing Template
- Comic Strips Templates
- Storyboard Templates (for Storytelling)
- Winning Stories 2016
- Winning Stories 2017
*we welcome group entries from schools and happy to discuss arrangements. Full details are available in the ‘Schools Pack’ below.
**Note: Please download and save the PDF files onto your computer, open the saved file with Adobe Reader or Acrobat, complete the form and copy & paste your story, save the file and then email it as an attachment. Always remember to keep a backup copy of your story.